Sunday, March 17, 2013

Nail polish drama!

I amaze myself!

Last Thursday I bought new nail polish, L'Oreal's Stroke of Midnight.  A gorgeous dark metallic gray/green.  Perfect for St. Patrick's Day.  This morning I was touching up my nails when I managed to catch the brush on the neck of the bottle, sending it skittering and spinning onto the floor.  I was seated at our kitchen table, so it wasn't as if I was being careless and trying to apply my polish in some unheard of location under impossible conditions. I neglected to mention the spinning, skittering offender dumped half its contents on my awesome Brazilian tigerwood hardwood floors.

#%*+£¥!!! OOOOOoooohhhh NOOOOOoooooo!!!!

There are no before pictures because the first thing I did was grab a wad of paper towels to wipe up as much as I could as fast as I could.  No small feat given the four chairs AND the computer dutifully being charged and attached to the wall outlet.  I do have a picture of the paper towels.  It was taken post crisis.

I grabbed the Goo Gone spray.  Nope.  Next, helpful hubby brought me (after I yelled pitifully, "I need your help right now!") my faithful can of  WD-40. Nothing.  Then to my trusty computer.
Google to the rescue!  Rubbing alcohol. I knew it was one of those, TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK, situations, but I figured I'd try it in a small area and go from there.  Disclaimer--The same goes for you...sooo, don't go getting upset with me if it strips your finish...I'm just saying. 

I soaked a cotton pad with the alcohol and wiped.  Most of the residue came off with little effort. Some of the spots were a bit more difficult and I needed to let the pad to sit for 5-10 seconds before the spots wiped right off.  Once I was done I cleaned the area with Bona hardwood floor cleaner.  It looks as if it worked and without stripping the finish off the floor.  Crisis averted. (BTW--I am waiting to take after pictures...I don't want to jinx what appears to be unharmed floor finishes.)  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You ever have a similar experience?  Feel free to share. Even queens need to share their oops moments with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment